Sunday, January 8, 2012

Bringing World Showcase to my Kitchen

I've been missing wdw a lot lately. I usually find that around this time of year I miss warm weather, being on vacation, and that warm and fuzzy Disney feeling. I think it has to do with being smack in the middle of winter, being in-between vacations and now that the holidays are over I'm not getting my warm and fuzzy feeling anymore from anything. Luckily I have some ways of coping with my Disney withdrawal depression. One way is through my Twitter friends. I love how there is always atleast one person in the parks and a multitude of friends who wouldn't mind talking Disney with me. Another way Adam and I like to get through it is it bring alittle world showcase to us! One of our favorite world showcase pavilions is Germany. It is tradition that we always get the bratwurst and sauerkraut with an ice cold German beer! We thought it would be fun to try our hand at it! I am happy to report that this recipe is not only pretty easy but its rather tasty as well!
BRATWURST WITH SAUERKRAUT AND APPLES 
6 slices bacon
1 sm. onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (32 oz.) can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 c. water
1/2 c. dry white wine - apple juice, or apple juice
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. instant chicken bouillon
1 tsp. caraway seed
1 bay leaf
1 lb. bratwurst
1 lg. apple, cored and sliced

Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Crumble; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons dripping. Cook onion and garlic in dripping. Stir in sauerkraut, potatoes, water, white wine or apple juice, brown sugar, dry bouillon, caraway seed, and bay leaf. Add more water, if needed. Score bratwurst. Add to mixture. Cover. Simmer 1 - 1 1/4 hours until potatoes are tender. Add apple. Cook until tender. Remove bay leaf. Serves 5.
While its not exactly what you'd find at Epcot its close enough! Definitely brought back some good memories, and cooking with Adam is always a fun mini adventure. What do you do in-between vacations to help get you through?? Xoxo

1 comment: