Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My obsession with "The Princess and the Frog"

Hey guys!

Let me first start this post by saying the I whole heartedly believe that I was a southern belle in another life. I love southern food, culture, history,and my favorite golden girl is Blanche Deveroux. (hehehe) Lately I have become extremely interested in Louisiana, specifically New Orleans. Cajun cooking and the amazing music from that comes from New Orleans completely fascinate me! Enter... Disney's Princess and the Frog...



I am completely in love with this movie for so many reasons! If you've already seen it, tell me if you agree with me or not. If you've not yet seen it or are skeptical I hope I can change your mind! Here is a quick run down of why I love it!

This movie does not take place along time ago, or in a land far far away. It takes place in turn of the century New Orleans. To me, this makes the story different and appealing in a new way. The background animation in Princess and the Frog is nothing short of mini pieces of fine art. The images of Bourbon st. and the bayou are simply breathtaking and make me want to visit New Orleans so much! Don't get me wrong, imagining you can be in a castle with Cinderella is just as fun, but the idea of someday visiting New Orleans and being a part of the city that played a major role in the film is just awesome. Seriously I have no other word for it other than awesome!

Princess and the Frog is not so much of a fantasy. Although turning into a frog is totally fantasy, working as a waitress doing double shifts because you're trying to open your own restaurant can absolutely be somebody's reality. Princess Tiana doesn't become a princess until the very end of the movie. She is just a normal girl trying to do the best she can for herself. I think Disney does a good job of giving all of their princesses strong personalities, but Tiana has to be one of the strongest, with an incredible drive to achieve her dream. All Disney princesses have gone through struggles, but some how Tianna's struggle is different. She learns that working hard is very important but so is stopping to smell the roses and enjoying life! I feel like so many of us work hard and don't get to enjoy the little things enough. I thought it was a very appealing message for Disney to add to Princess and the Frog.

Prince Naveen and Lottie are hysterical! This movie is not just for girls and this movie is not just for kids either. Prince Naveen is no prince charming when we first meet him and the jokes are very funny. I found myself laughing out loud every time he came on the screen. I can totally see little boys loving his character and really enjoying the whole movie. Lottie, who is one Tiana's only friends, is the mayor of New Orleans' daughter. She makes me laugh because I think Disney created her character with people like me in mind. She believes with all her heart that if she wishes on a star hard enough, all of her dreams will come true. She is extremely girly and is very funny! Her crazy Disney-ish lease on life seems insane to everyone but her and she doesn't care. She knows that deep down she will find her prince charming and live happily ever after, and she is a great friend to Tiana. This is why she is currently my avatar on Twitter! I think any girl in my age range, who grew up on Disney princess movies would really love her character.



They went back to good hand drawn animation!!! Don't get me wrong I love Pixar but I needed a good hand drawn Disney movie. I missed movies like Lion King and Aladdin and Little Mermaid. This movie was the answer to my Disney wishes!! I really hope Disney keeps this trend moving forward.

So there you have it, a quick run down of why I absolutely loved Princess and the Frog. I am lucky enough to have an amazing husband who bought me the blu-ray for Christmas this year. If you get the chance I highly recommend checking out the bonus features on the blu-ray. They were fantastic and I loved learning about the work that went into this movie. It gave me a totally new appreciation for it.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Princess and the Frog is great - the kind of movie that I wish they would make more often. A good story, lots of fun characters, a good message, and good songs. Makes me want to go home and watch it again tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete